How to Choose the Best Tomato Seedling Supplier
Tomato Seedlings: How to Choose the Best Supplier in South AfricaCrop farming is challenging but can be highly profitable. Choosing the correct variety and quality tomato seedlings from a commercial bulk-supply nursery gives the farmer a competitive edge. Without quality stock to start the crop, the farmer is already at a disadvantage.
The secret is to choose a seedling variety that is:
- Suitable for the climate region where the crop farming will take place
- Tolerant to nematodes and related soil-borne pathogens
- Has a strong root system for optimal water and nutrient uptake
- Tolerance for cold conditions
- Able to deliver high yield
- Right for protected growth if planning on greenhouse propagation
- Right for an unprotected environment if grown in the open field
- Able to deliver quality fruit
- Suitable for the particular season in which the farmer wants to cultivate the crop
- Popular for the specific market that the farmer targets
It seems like a tall order to get the perfect vegetable plug variety, but it is possible when partnering with a trusted seedling supplier. Apart from following best practices in tomato farming, it is essential to choose a supplier based on:
- History – review the track record of the nursery in their “About Us” section, on their social media pages, and by reading their testimonials.
- Credibility – does the nursery have qualified agronomists and horticulture specialists to provide expert advice?
- Variety on Offer – does the nursery have suitable varieties to meet the specific farming needs?
- Delivery options – collection or delivery?
- Technical support – does the nursery provide a transplant guide and technical support?
- Grafted or Ungrafted Tomato Seedlings – can the nursery provide a choice?
- Pricing – how competitive is the pricing structure?
- Other Vegetable Plugs – does the supplier only offer tomato plugs or can the farmer order plugs for watermelon, squash, cucumber, pepper, and melon?
- How the Plugs are Grown – are the plants grown in a protected environment to ensure strong and disease-free vegetable plugs?
- Ability to Supply – how many plugs can the nursery supply at once?
Where to Find the Best Seedling Supplier in South Africa?
Hishtil SA meets and exceeds the requirements as a bulk supplier in South Africa. With an international footprint and impressive history spanning more than 25 years, Hishtil SA has developed a large client base. Hundreds of commercial farmers already purchase quality plugs from them and have done so year after year.
Every plug is grown in a special greenhouse facility to ensure optimal temperature and humidity control. This also provides a controlled environment where the plant stock is protected against environmental threats. The plants are chemically treated before delivery to the farmer anywhere in South Africa. Farmers have the assurance of strong and disease-free plant stock.
Hishtil SA provides ongoing technical support and gives planting guidelines whether for grafted or ungrafted transplants. Apart from tomatoes, farmers can order ungrafted plugs for:
- Watermelon (also seedless)
Grafted plugs are available for:
Get a quote and advice on the right variety of tomato seedlings for delivery anywhere in South Africa.